Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have been taking the combined pill (Millinette 20/75) for

I have been taking the combined pill (Millinette 20/75) for about 2 months and this is the first time I've used an oral contraceptive.
I'm taking them both for contraception but also for mild endometriosis-type symptoms which my doctor believes I might have (though she says there is no point at this stage confirming one way or another). I get painful lower abdominal cramping 1-2 weeks in advance of my period and then very severe bloating and digestive issues which can last over a week (and is often more painful than the cramping itself). Since I've started taking the pill, I haven't noticed much improvement (I'm still getting the cramping and bloating and have experienced headaches, breast tenderness and some hair loss), but my doctor said I should stick with it and try taking two packs together at once. However I'm not entirely sure whether she meant to try this just once or to do this every time, and may need to ring up and clarify.
My main problem is that, due to the nature in which you have to start taking them, my break currently occurs on a Thursday, meaning I get my period (and the worst of the symptoms), over the weekend. I want to move this on so that it arrives on a Monday/Tuesday, and to do this I'm thinking about leaving starting the next pack until Saturday (an extra 2 days). My question is whether this will mess with the contraceptive aspect of my pill, and if so, how long would I need to take other precautions for?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
If you go more than 7 days without an active pill, you will no longer be protected by the pill. In that case, you would need to be back on the active pills for 7 days before you are protected.A simple way to change when you start a new pack is to continue the active pills (from a spare pack) until Saturday or whenever you wish, then stop the day you wish to begin your pills (since if you stop on a Saturday, you'll start the new pack the following Saturday).The rule is to not miss active pills more than 7 days, and keep taking active pills at least 21 days. Then you maintain protection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And if I've already missed one day (yesterday), and haven't taken this morning's either? Would it be best to just leave taking it until tomorrow (Saturday) and use other precautions for the next 7 days?
The problem is that you're stopping the pill but not quite giving your period enough time to come. That tends to result in breakthrough bleeding the next month.Since you've missed a pill, I would wait 4 days (that should be enough), start the new pack Sunday, use precautions until you've been back on the pill for 7 days. That way your future periods will tend to come on Tuesday or so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice.
I had my break last Thursday as normal, so I've since had the period, which is just finishing, and I should have started the new pack yesterday, but was postponing it until tomorrow/Sunday (i.e. 9 or 10 days break rather than 7), so as to move the day I get my period next time. So if I do that, I can just use precautions until the following weekend and then I should be protected again?
Yes. That will work well.

Thank you for your payment and rating.