Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

My daughter is a teacher at an International School in Bucharest

My daughter is a teacher at an International School in Bucharest , Romania . She has been on fertility treatment and had one miscarriage. She us presently pregnant at 7.5 wks gestation. Her obstetrician has just told her she has no immunity against Rubella and he should have immunised her after her first miscarriage but he forgot ! He has asked her to keep away from children but she is a primary school teacher. She doesn't know whether to leave her job or take the risk . Children /babies in Romania are offered are offered mmr but the uptake is not the same as the UK . However she works in an independent school . Can you offer advice please
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
There is no way to know specifically what the risk would be in her school. If there is a rubella outbreak and she contracts rubella the risk is highest in the first twelve weeks. There is little risk after 20 weeks. There have been outbreaks in adolescents in that country recently. But in other areas.