Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had a very bright neon green colour vaginal discharge it

I had a very bright neon green colour vaginal discharge it was wet not jelly like or formed in any way, it appeared on and off for a couple of weeks. When I went to GP I ended up seeing the nurse practitioner not an actual doctor, and to be quite honest
she didn't really know what to do for me. She decided to take a swab to test for bacterial vaginitis, as she decided it would not be an Std, because of my age?? I am 57 I think in mid menopause (no one seems to give advice on that topic for me) but I have
terrible hot and cold sweats every day, don't sleep, agitated etc etc. The test came back clear, I telephoned to find out the result as a month later I had heard nothing from them. The discharge seemed to ease off for a couple of weeks but slowly came back.
I have started taking bright green nutrabullets drinks over the past 3months which consists of raw greens, kale,spinach,watercress advacado I have one each day, I mentioned this but the nurse just laughed at the suggestion. No one seems bothered, anyway do
I just let this go? Is it my age, or could it be some kind of cancer causing this? regards gh
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
When was your last normal Pap smear?Are you having sex?Have you discussed hormone replacement with your doctor? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what a pap is? but I had my usual vaginal smear test approx 9 months ago, definately in the last 12months.
I have protected sex with my husband, we use condoms, but my husband has Parkinsons so its not often and not much penetration as he has erection problems due to his meds.
I asked for HRT in the past couple of years as I have lots of hot/cold sweats tired all the time etc, but I was told it was not neccessary and a risk??? when I asked last time I was toldI cant have it because my Cholesterol levels are to high.
I suspect that your green discharge is related to low estrogen levels, which often cause atrophic vaginitis after menopause. The low estrogen results in very thin and fragile vaginal walls which become inflamed easily.The treatment is estrogen, either by vaginal cream or by pill or patch.It requires a vaginal exam to make the diagnosis.I would recommend that you see another doctor. Hormone replacement therapy is actually good for high cholesterol, and it's certainly the best treatment we have for hot flashes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that totally different from the bacterial vaginitis which I was tested for? Only I had trouble in finding anything that involved having a green discharge apart from STD's.
I take it is definitely best to not leave this without more investigation?
Would you suggest I ask the doctor for an examination? Because the state of our NHS they avoid doing anything if they can.
Yes, it's very different from bacterial vaginitis.I don't know of any STD that causes a green discharge, although gonorrhea and chlamydia can both cause a discharge. If you think there might be a possibility of an STD, I would get tested.The green may be partly from your green drinks.Assuming that it's not an STD, I don't think it's cancer or anything serious.It might even go away on its own, and if it did, I wouldn't worry.If it doesn't go away, then it probably would be best to ask the doctor for an exam.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** finish the session, I would like to ask you something if you don't mind.
At 57 and sick of dragging myself about each day.
I have lost weight, excercised every day, and obviously it must do me good, but I still feel that I should be feeling a lot healthier than I am, if that makes sense?
I am not a couch potato, I eat healthy diet. I never sleep at night hardly, then I think excercising daily is not a good thing.
I have very stiff joints, and see people 10+ years my age up early running about, and I feel 20years older than them.
I have never been offered any kind of HRT, I feel as if my bones could do with help, osteoporosis runs in my family, would extra calcium help?
In a nut shell, in your opinion would you say these are all symptoms of menopause and getting old, and HRT would benefit me?
Would I be best on one hormone or a mixture, hope you can advise me , regards gh
I'm pretty sure that you would feel better taking HRT, and probably sleep better. Whether or not it would give you a lot more energy or help your stiff joints, not necessarily.Feeling good and having energy is generally a matter of good nutrition, sufficient sleep, regular exercise, and a balanced life.I agree with you that there are plenty of men and women in their 60's, 70's and 80's who have lots of energy and feel good most of the time.It's worrisome that you don't sleep at night, and it would be good to see a sleep specialist, if HRT did not resolve that problem. Not sleeping puts a tremendous stress on the body.Assuming that you have a uterus, then you would need a combination of estrogen and progesterone (only estrogen if the uterus is removed). They can be taken as pills or patches, or a combination. An estrogen patch and progesterone pills may be the best for most women.
HRT is also excellent to prevent osteoporosis. If you haven't had a bone scan to check for it, that would be a good idea also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for all your advice it is really appreciated, you have helped me tremendously kind regards gbhx
You're welcome.Please click the rating button. Thank you.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Thank you for your payment and rating.