Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have left side pain on my side. I have a little bit of thin

Customer Question

I have left side pain on my side. I have a little bit of thin blood through my vaginal mucous. Just this past week. I am 53 and have no period for about two years. I assume I have finished. I am single and a virgin so not at risk of sexually transmitted disease. What could it be? It feels like ovulating pain, and I have back pain.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
A little bleeding after menopause is called postmenopausal bleeding, and needs to be checked out.I suspect that you have some ovarian activity (possibly ovulation but not too likely) with possibly a small ovarian cyst that has increased your estrogen levels and caused the spotting.As long as that's all there is, it will likely take care of itself over time.However, when there is postmenopausal bleeding, there is some chance of cancer, which is the reason it should be checked out.Your doctor will do an exam and probably and ultrasound. That would show if there is any ovarian cyst, and also show the thickness of the uterine lining.If the uterine lining is thickened at all, you'll probably need an endometrial biopsy (thin tube through the cervix to sample the uterine lining). As long as that's normal, probably just observation to see that everything goes away.
Thank you for your payment and rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Pain has finally eased on side this evening. It did seem as you said to be ovarian pain. However I will get my GP to check this for me next week.

Thanks again.

You're welcome.