Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had some smear test results at the weekend which showed

Customer Question

Hi, I had some smear test results at the weekend which showed borderline changes with evidence of HPV. I'm struggling to understand what this really means. The letter says that I will be contacted to go for a colposcopy within 2 weeks. Do you think it would be worth me going private? I'm unsure how urgent the situation is
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
How old are you?When was your last Pap smear before this one?How many sex partners have you had? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my last smear was 6 years ago, I am 30 and I've had 15 sexual partners.

It's always scary to have an abnormal Pap smear, but it's not really too big a deal.

HPV is a common virus that most sexually active people will have sometime during their lives. Most of the time our bodies get rid of it in 1-2 years.

The borderline changes are the very first step toward cancer, but often go away on their own, and do not suggest cancer at this time. If the changes don't disappear without treatment, they are easily treatable in the office.

The colposcopy is done to evaluate how significant the changes are, since the Pap smear only suggests what changes may be there.

If the changes are significant, then they can be treated, and they'll be gone.

I doubt that it would be worth going private. These are simple changes that are easy to evaluate and to treat.

Most of the time, HPV and borderline changes on a Pap smear are inconveniences and nothing to worry about. As long as you have follow up as needed, it will never be anything serious.