Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I got the problem I need to urinate so many times at night

Customer Question

Hi, I got the problem I need to urinate so many times at night according Doctor it is urine track infection but my urine test is good. Please advise
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Do you not urinate many times during the day?Do you drink a lot of fluids?Do you have swelling of your ankles?Are you male or female?Do you have any burning with urination? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to urinate during the day but not that much often as at night. I drink not to much fluids. No swelling of my ankles. I am female (not pregnant). No burning with urination and no pain.
Frequent urination is sometimes the first sign of diabetes, so it may be worthwhile to get tested for that.Frequent urination at night but not during the day is often related to fluid retention. Wile lying down at night, the extra fluid is passed through the kidneys as increased urination. Usually you would notice the fluid accumulation, especially in your ankles.Urethritis is a possible cause of frequent urination, which is inflammation of the urethra, the tube leading out of the bladder. It may not show up on routine urine testing. Usually there would be burning with urination. STD's are a common cause of urethritis, so if and STD is possible, I would get tested.So it's somewhat puzzling why you urinate more at night. I assume that it's puzzling for your doctor as well. I would at least get checked for diabetes and possibly STD's. Best wishes.