DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS
DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS, CONSULTANT GYNAECOLOGIST
Experience:  MBBS(CAL)MD(G&O)
15221770

I am travelling India and have just had an emergency surgery

I am travelling India and have just had an emergency surgery to have a Bartholins abscess drained. I underwent an epidural and the surgery lasted 30 - 40 minuets. They packed the wound with gauze and took it out 12 hours later. I have now been sent back
to my hotel with very little after care instructions. They have given me Betadine and Mupirocin to apply topically - how often should I apply these? Should I keep the wound covered with gauze or air it? Keep it damp with the Betadine or dry? I have been instructed
to take sitz baths with Betadine in the water, but I'm not overly confidant about the cleanliness of the water here. Should I avoid the baths just in case, or will the Betadine make sure that the water is purified enough to soak the wound in? I also have what
feel like small spikey like plastic thread ends in two places around the cut (I can't see them though as the area is too difficult to see and messy) is it possible that they stitched part of the area and did not tell me? Is it common to stitch part of the
cut closed? My care here has not been very good and as a consequence I am arranging to fly home to the UK early to recover. Am I safe to fly 6 days after the operation? I plan to fly first class so that I can lay down and not have to sit on the cut. The doctors
here said that it was fine to fly but I would like a second opinion.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS replied 1 year ago.
HelloThe wound is open and it will heal by itself (secondary healing). It will take at least 6 weeks time for complete healing. But you can fly or perform normal job after 5 to 7 days.You have to apply the ointment two times daily.You should keep open the wound.The suture felt at the margin will be dissolved automatically after 6 weeks.Seitz bath is a very good option for early recovery in this case. Mix betadine lotion and acroflavin with luke worm water and take seitz bath.In my opinion you should fly when you can seat comfortably.Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. I have two last questions just to clarify - So would you recommend I don't have gauze over the wound, and let it air instead?
And should I apply the two ointments at the same time or different times?
Thanks No you have not to keep the gauze on the wound, keep it open and dry .You don't need to apply both betadine and mupirocin in the wound.Use betadine lotion for seitz bath and the other ointment for tropical use.