Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

I have been bleeding days now and have blood in my

I have been bleeding for 3 days now and have blood in my discharge u also have a lot of lower back pain on my left hand side is this something to be concerned about it's just over a week since my last period. I'm a 27 year old female my partner has had a vasectomy reversal so there's no way I could be pregnant

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response, I am privileged you have allowed me to help you improve your health. There are a few preliminary questions I need you to answer in order to give you the best advice.1. What was the first day of your last menstrual period (LMP)?2. Have you taken any medication in the last month? If so what?3. Describe your discharge occurring last week?4. Has this happened before?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The first day of my last menstrual cycle was the 10th ocrtober I haven't been on any medication in the last month my discharge last week was the usual a clear colour and it's never happened before.

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your responses. 1. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 = mild, 10 = severe, how would you rate your pain?2. have you flown on an airplane recently? Been under any stress (personal, career, life, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The pain is about a 4 my last holiday was in June I've been under no more stress than usual

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. It is important to remember that many things can throw off one's menstrual cycle, including change in weight, medication, airline travel, stress (perceived or actual), surgery, to name just a few. While none of these may be obvious reasons to you now, you may recall something that happened since your previous cycle. A change in the menstrual flow does not mean something is terribly wrong, but it can be annoying. It is always best to get a pregnancy test (yes I know your partner had a vasectomy but this is for completeness sake, as there is always a risk of failure with any procedure). The pain that you describe can be due to ovulation or an ovarian cyst, which often resolve on its own. A cyst can occur at anytime in a menstrual cycle and most do not cause any symptoms as they often will resolve on their own. If the pain continues through to your next cycle the you should have physical exam. But first think whether there has been any change in your physical activity, including sex, which can be a cause of muscle strain in the area. Muscle strain can take 10-21 days to resolve depending on the severity, repeated injury or use. For now Tylenol or Motrin/Advil etc can be used to provide relief. A warm towel to the area may also help. When sleeping the on-side position with knees up will decrease pressure to the area & thus diminish the pain. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks form your help the over the last day I have had a stringy brown discharge.

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.
This is due to the light bleeding that you had been experiencing. It will resolve in a few days. Continue to observe but realize that this spotting is no detrimental to your health, and it most likely will not repeat in subsequent cycles. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my timeHave a great day!
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.