Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

There, I am a 31 year old women who was diagnosed with endometriosis

Customer Question

Hi there, I am a 31 year old women who was diagnosed with endometriosis at 26. i had a laporoscopy to confirm the diagnosis. The surgen removed some endometriosis on one of my ovaries. Since then I have been on the Yasmin pill, and my symptoms have reduced significantly. I have very light periods now, but still occasionally suffer from sudden pains in my rectum/ pelvis. The pains are sharpe, sudden and last mearly for a second.
Seven years on, I am now in a long term relationship of 4 years, and while we aren't rushing to have children, it is definitely something that both my partner and I want in the next few years. Knowing my history of endometriosis and the impact this disease can have on fertility, I'm very keen to understand my situation, so I give myself the best chance to have a child (if at all possible) in the near future. I really don't want to miss an opportunity, if one exists. I'm keen to know the facts about my fertility situation now, as I'm only getting older and I know that it may only gets harder. What tests/approach do you propose. I don't know where to start? I understand there are tests to understand your egg reserve - is this the best course? For this test, do I need to come off the pill and will this cause problems with my hormones and endometriosis? When I came off the pill once when I was young it took me a year until my first bleed. As you can tell, I'm very confused, but certainly want facts to help me make a plan with my partner. Many thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
You have 2 factors that may make if harder for you to get pregnant.First is the endometriosis. As you are aware, women with endometriosis tend to have a more difficult time getting pregnant than women without endometriosis.The second relates to ovulation. When a woman goes a year without a period after coming off the pill, that means that she went a year without ovulating, since ovulation is what brings on a period 2 weeks later. Fortunately, not ovulating is one of the easiest problems to treat.There is no real way to know if you can get pregnant other than to get pregnant. There are tests of ovarian reserve, but mostly likely your ovarian reserve is OK at age 31.The other significant enemy of fertility is age. Once a woman reaches the age of 30, her fertility decreases every year. For that reason, I would suggest that you not wait. It may take some time for you to get pregnant, so better to start soon.My suggestion would be to go off the pill and see whether you get a period. While you're off the pill, you could have an AMH test if you wish, since that is a good test of ovarian reserve.If you don't get a period within 2 months, I would see a doctor to check about ovulation and help you to ovulate (usually with Clomid pills taken each month. Good luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. If I come off the pill, is there a danger that my endometriosis will quickly get worse? Is there anything I could take when I stop the pill to manage my symptoms? I've been on the pill now for 7 years, and it absolutely masks my pain every month.
Your endometriosis might get worse, but might not. If it does get worse, it might take some time.Assuming that your symptoms are pain, hopefully pain pills will relieve your symptoms.