DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I'm trying baby. Been having some cramps around

Customer Question

I'm trying for a baby. Been having some cramps around my lower right abdomen - went to the doctors got tested - no infections and I have no infections symptoms. Had an ultra sound and nothing apart from some small sized fibroids. The docs decided to give antibiotics incase of any underlying infections. I took out an IUD non hormonal coil early September.
I was given Metrodinazole and Doxycycline which I have read aren't good for pregnancy.
Query is - can I take these while trying for a baby or around my period time?
Also what's causing the pain
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your questionDoxycycline certainly is not good if you are pregnant.So if you are pregnant or have any chances of pregnancy you should not be on this.Metronidazole, on the other hand, is safe and can be used.I would have used something like cefixime, which is safe in pregnancy.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the stars.Kind regards
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloI have a different answer for you.First, I noticed that you asked what might be causing the pain, which has not been answered.They are giving you an antibiotic combination typical for diverticulitis.There is no evidence you have this.Therefore, you do not have a specific reason for antibiotics.Diverticulosis, can be proven with colonoscopy. In some cases, with ct scan. Right now, you have no evidence of diverticulosis or diverticulitis...none.Other causes, muscle spasm, inflamed appendix [no evidence here], uterine pain, ovarian pain, ureteral pain from a stone, and others such as irritable bowel syndrome.There is no such thing in good medicine as "antibiotics just in case its infection" What infection.?In fact, metronidazole is not recommended during the first trimester by the manufacture for trichamonus. That is the only safety recommendation.Metronidazole and cefixime both have no controlled human study.Cefixime alone is not a proper treatment, first line, for diverticulitis. I don't think you have that, but for your interest, here is a good write up on treatment:http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/173388-treatmentAnimal studies for cefixime and metronidazole in animal studies are "probably safe" in conclusion, but some studies show an increased incidence of cleft palate with metronidazole.In fact, both are category B, which are used in pregnancy, but only when there is clear benefit outweighing risk.ThereforeI would call your doctors and ask why exactly you are being put on any antibiotics as you have not been given a reason that is valid.If you take them as prescribed, insure that you do not get pregnant for the time being.I am a double board certified US doctor.This answer represents current standard of care.Find me anytime in medical for correct, safe, concise and comprehensive answers.Use my request link and "for Dr. Thomas only" in the title.Click, a positive on this answer page so that I get credit and paid.Let me know if you have further questions.