Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

I have recently had a medical, (which I have not had the results

I have recently had a medical, (which I have not had the results for) in which the doctor mentioned I have a Thin Endometrium Ring. I have a Merina Coil fitted so don't have regular periods but have noticed random bleeding which I didn't have before.
My husband has left after having an affair, he's admitted not using a condom and I suspect that wasn't his only other sexual partner.
I'm 44 years old very fit and healthy although have been under alot of stress.
Am I right to be concerned?
thank you for any feedback.
Amanda
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob0gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today. I'm sorry for your concerns. It's not entirely clear to me what your doctor meant by "thin endometrium ring". I think that perhaps this was what we in the US call a "thin endometrial stripe"? This would be diagnosed with an ultrasound measurement of the uterine lining. It's normal to have a thin lining when there is a Mirena IUD in place. The thinning of the lining can cause random bleeding. Usually it's not a sign of any concern. But if it's frequent or bothersome, we can supplement with a low dose of estrogen to thicken up the lining a bit. It's not the sign of a sexually transmitted infection or anything else worrisome. Aside from that, if your husband had been unfaithful, it would be recommended that you have full STI testing with repeat HIV testing 6 months from last encounter with him. If all of those tests are negative, there is no STI. I hope this has been reassuring and helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything or add more details. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the coil fitted 7 years ago and its only in the past couple of months that the bleeding has become noticeably worse.
The doctor examined me via an internal examination.
thanks for your last reply.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
If 7 years ago, it's at the very end of it's hormonal life. In that case it's expected that bleeding could resume. Mirena devices are approved for use of 5-7 years depending on the country of regulation. So normally we'd advice removing the device at this time. It could be replaced if contraception or control of the periods is desired. Any other questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you.