Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

My periods stopped 22month ago I've had malignant melanoma

My periods stopped 22month ago I've had malignant melanoma and lyphnoids removed , my period had recently returned . Is there a relationship to my cancer
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. I'm sorry to hear about your medical troubles. Whether the period stopping had anything to do with the cancer depends on the timing of the cancer treatments to the stopping. Many chemotherapy treatments result in shutting down the woman's reproductive system. Also many women shut down their cycles when under stress. So it's quite possible there is a relationship. As long as they're now back to normal, nothing more needs to be done. But if a woman starts skipping again, an investigation is a good idea. Thyroid disease and a variety of other medical conditions can cause a shut down and treatment is usually recommended. I hope this was helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything or add more details.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My period had stopped before I was discovered to have malignant melanoma . I was operated on to have my tumour and lynphnoids removed . I've not been given chemotherapy . I just get checked every 3 month . Then my period has started again recently . I've not had my period long nough yet to know whether or not it's a normal cycle returning . I was just wondering if I should get things checked out in case there may be a connection to my cancer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your feedback and information .
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
It's not a sign of cancer recurrence if that's what you're concerned about. It's much more likely due to stress or other random effects. If you continue to have skips, we normally check for thyroid disease and elevations in prolactin hormone. If the period shuts down completely we also check other hormones such as FSH and estradiol levels. I hope your cycle continues on a normal pattern and you don't have any more health scares. Anything else?