Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have had vaginal bleeding a week now but have

I have had vaginal bleeding for around a week now but have had nothing for a year prior to this I have a constant stitch like pain in my left iliac fossa and on changing the tampon there is a distinct smell like rotten flesh any ideas
I am 51yrs old
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
When was your last pelvic exam and Pap smear?Is there any chance that you've lost a tampon inside? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't needed to use any tampons until last week as have had no periods for a year and my last smear was July and it came back ok
Sorry for the delay. I've been gone.Since this is the first bleeding you've had in a year, it's important to see your doctor to have it checked. It's called postmenopausal bleeding, and most likely it's from benign causes, but cancer is possible.The rotten smell is likely due to the type of bacteria feeding on the blood. That rotten smell is also typical of a tampon left in too long, but that's not true for you.I suspect that the pain in your left iliac fossa is from an ovarian cyst, which has resulted from your left ovary getting active and making enough estrogen to cause a period. An exam and perhaps an ultrasound will help to know.The ultrasound will also help to know whether the uterine lining is thickened at all. If it is, you'll probably need either an endometrial biopsy (thin tube through the cervix to sample the lining) or a D&C.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will consult my GP I appreciate your assistance
You're welcome.Please click the rating button. Thank you.
Thank you for your payment and rating.