Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

I had 2 positive pregnancy tests and 2 negatives. I did

Hi. I had 2 positive pregnancy tests and 2 negatives. I did also blood test for beta hcg and came back with 1...meaning negative. My period is now 11 days late. My last period was 2nd october. My period is always on time never late. Am i pregnant? What should i do? Im really confused...thank you
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today. I'm sorry to hear about the confusing results. It sounds like you had what we call a "chemical pregnancy". This is actually more common than people realize. What that means is that a woman has been pregnant but then the embryo stopped growing very early. The blood test that was negative is the final answer that the pregnancy has failed. The only other possible explanation is that the urine tests were left sitting and read at the wrong time. False positive readings are possible if the test is left sitting for more than the usual 3 minutes. I's sure you have more questions so please reply so I can give more details. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok i understood that the embryo stopped developping but should i not get my period emediatly?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Not necessarily. It can take up to 6 weeks for the ovulation to resume. So the period pattern may be irregular for 2 months afterwards. Any other questions I can help with today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should i go and complete other tests just to make sure everything is ok? Or see maybe a gyno for an internal ultrasound? Is my first pregnancy and im worried
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
I can't think of any other tests until this is a repeated event for you. As long as the last pregnancy test was negative and the period comes back within 2 months, there isn't much else to do. About 25% of pregnancies end in miscarriage. With this being you're first pregnancy, there will be extra worry. Women who have had successful pregnancies before have less worry because they know they've done it before. But when it happens the first time, a woman always wonders if this is something that will happen again and again. She worries she won't ever be able to be pregnant. But with just one time, chances are very very high that there will be no trouble in the future. Is the doctor suggesting any other tests right now? I doubt it. Anything else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will make an app to see a gyno soon as i cant just stay and wait 2 months for my period to come....i want a baby and im 33 y old...i wont just leave it. For me is serious. Thank you for your answer.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I'm glad to help. It's especially good to have a relationship with a gynecologist when worries about pregnancy come up. Anything else I can help with today?