Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

I had sex early hours this morning. I've not long treated myself

Customer Question

I had sex early hours this morning. I've not long treated myself for a yeast infection on vagina after being on anti biotics. I was quite dry when having sex, and it was rough. Straight afterwards I had burning sensation. It stopped after a while but I have noticed a load of cut skin down there and then a friction blister on the inside of my lip. I'm scared its herpes. But is it too soon of a reaction after sex, could it be because of the dry friction from this morning?? Not even 24 hrs.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. I'm sorry that you're having this concern. You're right, a herpes lesion does not come on this quickly. Herpes lesions usually take 3-7 days after the sex to come out. When something comes on this quickly, it's likely due to irritation or dryness during sex. Some women who are on birth control pills, are thin or otherwise have low estrogen levels can have especially tender skin that can tear from friction during sex. I hope this was reassuring or helpful. If things persist and you continue to have trouble, it would be best to get checked out by a gynecologist. But so far it doesn't sound suggestive of herpes. Please reply if you have any questions or need more details.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the quick response.What is the best way to deal with the irritations I have had?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
This depends on what the cause is. It would be helpful to know your age, form of contraception, weight and whether there are any medical issues or medications.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm 20. I am on a combined pill. Weight is around 9 stone. I did have a thrush infection after using anti biotics. So I have taken recent medication for that. Is there a chance this could be still persistent?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
So at a young age on birth control pills, one reason can be that the pill is suppressing your own ovaries production of estrogen. This leads to tissue thinning, dryness and increases the risk of yeast infections. The reason is that lowered estrogen levels leads to an increase in pH of the vagina. This makes it easier for the wrong thing to grow. The antibiotics recently taken could also have caused the normal bacteria in the vagina to decrease. For best vaginal health, eating dietary probiotics (normal bacteria) can help. These are fermented foods such as kefir, yogurt, sauerkraut, kim chee, tempeh and miso. Some women benefit from getting a prescription for some vaginal estrogen cream or tablets to be used twice weekly. Your gynecologist would be able to tell if this might help. The pH of the vagina can be tested in the office and the doctor can see tissue thinning as a result of lowered estrogen levels. That's the most common cause of tissue tears in young women who are normal weight and on birth control pills. Any questions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's great. I will consult my doctor and ensure I'm eating the right foods. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. Glad to help. Please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks and good luck.