Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

I've been on the pill constantly years, skipping

Hi. I've been on the pill constantly for many years, skipping my periods as they are filled with horrible cramps. Therefore, I have no idea when to expect my period. I want to make sure I'm not pregnant, so I stopped taking the pills about a month after the intercourse. 2 days later, I got my period. Is this still a 100% sure sign im not pregnant? As I don't know when to expect the next period, I don't know when I should take the tests either. Would appreciate an answer asap!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. If you've been on continuous birth control pills for years, it's nearly impossible that you got pregnant from the events you describe. The bleed that you had when stopping the pills was a "withdrawal" bleed from stopping the pills. It's not a sign of whether a woman is pregnant or not. But even so, you were on the pills at the time you had sex and had been on them for years prior, so chance of pregnancy is very close to zero. The next period off pills will usually come within 4-6 weeks after the withdrawal bleed you already had. A home urine pregnancy test is accurate starting about 10 days after conception but certainly would be positive by 2-3 weeks after the encounter. You can certainly run a home test just to be sure but I think the risk of pregnancy is so very very low, it's really highly unlikely since you've been on the pills for so long. As long as the pills were taken consistently, without needing to double up missed pills, risk of pregnancy is nearly zero. I hope this was helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything or add details. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As they have become such a habit for me, I must admit that I've been rather sloppy when it comes to taking them. I've forgotten them now and then, and taken them at different times during the day. I've read that the tests are only accurate if you take them a day or two before expected periods. I've taken one, which was negative, but are you saying that as long as it's been taken so long after the sex, no matter when you did it with concerned of periods, it's still reliable? I am aware the the chances are low, but once this thought planted in my mind, I'm hyping it up so badly, I can't even sleep.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
The tests are accurate no earlier than 1-2 days before the period ONLY if it's a natural period. This is not true for an artificially caused period such as the one when going off the pills. The test will be accurate if it's been more than 10-14 days since the sex. Early in pregnancy, a false negative is possible if a woman has been drinking a lot of water before taking the test. In early pregnancy, the beta-HCG pregnancy hormone in the urine is fairly low so drinking water dilutes the level and causes a false negative reading. But once a woman is 14-21 days past the conception day, the hormone is high enough to eliminate this reason for false negative readings. So if it's been more than 14-21 days since the sex and the test is negative, you're not pregnant. Is that clear? Anything else I can explain better?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. So the intercourse was 26 days ago when I took the test on Thursday, and it was negative. My "fake" period was from the 8th of November till the 15th. I had drank a lot of water, as I was too nervous to even pee. If I take a new one tomorrow morning, and the first toilet visit, and it's negative, I'm 100% not pregnant?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
So the one on Thursday was 24 days after. That one was already 100% accurate but if you want to do one more tomorrow morning, I'm sure it will be negative too and you can then rest 100%++. Anything else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you SO much!
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Glad to help. Please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.