Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

There! i got my copper IUD removed 3 weeks ago after it

HI there! i got my copper IUD removed 3 weeks ago after it had moved from the top of my uterus and 3 previous failed attempts at removal. I did not have another IUD fitted.
However, today i felt a string at the top of my vagina!!
How and why could this be?
many thanks!
Fleur
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
I could only speculate, so I would recommend that you see your doctor to check it out.I suspect that during the removal process, one of the strings broke off, and now is sitting at the top of your vagina.If that were true, perhaps you would be able to grasp the string and take it out. If you can, I doubt that anything further is needed.It's also possible that what feels like a string isn't actually a string.So if you can't remove it, I would see your doctor to figure it out. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you. I can't quite grasp it but may ask my boyfriend to.Out of interest, if it isn't a string, what do you think it might be?
It's hard to guess. But I have found some quite unusual things high in the vagina. Perhaps it's even a tampon string, although that seems unlikely.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ha ha! Yeah i guess as an obgyn you've probably seen a lot! Ok, well i'll try the 'gentle tug' method first and if that fails then go to the doc first thingThank you Dr Norm.Fleur
You're very welcome, Fleur.Thank you for your payment and rating.