Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

Am 40 weeks plus 5 days pregnant and have question about

Customer Question

Hi am 40 weeks plus 5 days pregnant and have question about results of Umbilical Artery Doppler scan I had today.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had 2 due dates from different hospitals first was for 28th Nov and other 2nd Dec - so tomorrow! All been fine with pregnancy so far, no issues, BP normal but obviously am older at 41 years. Had Utlrasound today which picked up a higher pressure for the umbilical artery. PI was 1.45 and RI 0.73. Am trying to get advice if this means I should be induced straight away or if am ok to hang on for few more days to see if labour starts naturally. No-one at hospital today could give me good answer except to say they didn't know. Did have membrane sweep today to speed things up and midwife said and 2cm dilated already so she thought might happen anyway in next 24 hours. So am trying to get some advice on what the reading means and if I should be acting on this information straight away.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
PI in the third trimester is normally 1-1.5. Your RI is slightly high Decisions to induce would not be made only on these values. I assume you also had some fetal monitoring, or a non stress test. I also assume that your amniotic fluid level was normal. You would be induced at 41 weeks. You do not have two due dates. You have one due date that your midwife is using. Find out what that is, good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for your reply. I have not had any fetal monitoring or non stress tests yet at hospital so maybe will ask for this first before a decision on induction prior to 41 weeks. Yes fluid and baby movement normal. My midwife is working to 28th date.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so then you need to be delivered by 12/5 and you need a non stress test