Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am a 25 year old woman who has had 18 months of amenorrhea

Customer Question

Hi, I am a 25 year old woman who has had 18 months of amenorrhea since stopping the contraceptive pill. I am being referred left right and centre to different specialists and everything seems so disorganised that I would really appreciate some guidance on what to say to my GP to try and get some direction with my treatment.
Here is a brief summary of my condition :
Low FSH
Low oestrogen
18 months amenorrhea
BMI was 14 but has now increased to just over 18
Ultrasound revealed cysts on ovaries (no further investigations) - result concluded not PCSOs
Took withdrawal bleed inducing medication but did not experience bleed
Had chlamydia swabs which are negative
I have been referred to Endocrinologist, Dietician, Fertility, Gynae and Obstetrics but I am always asked to have the same blood tests which reveal the same results but I do not seem to get any closer to a resolution.
I am not asking for a diagnoses - I would like some advice on what to say to my GP as do not feel they are taking me seriously.
Please help
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
You apparently have hypothalamic amenorrhea. That means that your ovaries are not functioning due to no signals from your brain (hypothalamus/pituitary).The most likely cause of this is being underweight. It's good that you've gained weight, but with a BMI of 18, you're still underweight.If you can gain some more weight, things could go back to normal, and your periods may start.This is probably beyond your GP, but you could ask for a referral to OB/GYN. Otherwise you could just give it some time and see if gaining more weight doesn't take care of it. Best wishes.