Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
62949540

I've had a really light flow of old blood week,

Hello, i've had a really light flow of old blood for a week, spotting of purple and red today and yesterday and an awful headache and bad cramps today with no flow. Period due Sunday.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the question and your patience. I am happy to help. 1. Do you have regular periods?2. What was the first day of your last period?3. Is pregnancy a posibility? Thank you, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. 9 nov and yes
I am sorry about any delays in the conversation here, but I am still with you. Here are my thoughts:1. You need to definitely check a pregnancy test - this could easily be an explanation for abnormal spotting as this is common in early pregnancy2. If the pregnancy test is negative, then the most likely explanation is related to abnormal timing of ovulation this last month. When women do not ovulate, they either have an absent period, delayed period, or abnormal bleeding (related to breakthrough bleeding from a lining that is 'overgrown') Causes of irregular ovulation include: stress, weight gain, weight loss, illness, thyroid disease, etc. Tell me what you think about my answer so far. Dr. TIm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I had some unusual signs of ovulation this much-a solid ball of mucus (that was a first). Last months blood had a blue hue too.
You are very welcome. I agree that there was something abnormal about the cycle this last month. Most women notice a more clear, stringy discharge mid-cycle so this is different than what you are describing. Here is a thought on a plan:1. Check a pregnancy test2. If the test is negative, you can simply wait to see what happens3. If the bleeding continues, then you should schedule a visit to also consider an ultrasound to rule out things like polyps in the uterus4. If you are not ovulating, there are ways to 'regulate' your cycle using hormones or birth control pills Does this answer your question? If so, please provide a POSITIVE rating. Thank you. Dr. Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** also been very tired and had tonsilitis for the past two weeks. Could this be signs of menopause though-i am 44
Menopausal symptoms typically involve hotflashes, difficulty sleeping, mood changes, cycle related changes - things like that. Your fatigue could simply be related to the infection involving your tonsills. Menopause is typically defined as no period for 12 months, but leading up to this is definite variation in your cycle and symptoms related to your cycle. Dr. Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.