Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

I am homozygous mthfr. I was advised by my doctor to take methylfolate

Customer Question

I am homozygous mthfr. I was advised by my doctor to take methylfolate instead of folic acid as my system finds it easier to use the natural folate rather than synthetic folic acid. I'm now 8 weeks pregnant. I read online that the rda is sometimes said to be 400mg and at other times it is recommended that pregnant women take 600mg. Because I couldn't find 600mg capsules in the uk, I decided to take 2 X 400mg tablets ie 800mg a day. I thought it was probably best to take a little more than too little. I'm now beginning to worry that that was the wrong thing to do and that I might have damaged the baby. Can you put my mind at rest? Should I go down to 400mg? Many thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today. You are absolutely safe in your dosing. This is a water soluble vitamin so toxic doses are really impossible. Anything extra is washed out in your urine. For women who are at high risk of neural tube defects, we actually recommend dosing that are 10X the standard dose! So rest assured that you have caused NO HARM and that you have done the best possible to reduce risk of spina bifida and other neural tube defects. I hope this has been very reassuring information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. Should I stick with 800 or switch down to 400? Thank you
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
The higher dose is not harmful and provides greater protection. Although once a woman has reached 6-8 weeks gestational age, the folic acid has done it's job. After that, there isn't any point to stay on the higher dose. Anything else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that's fine, thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I'm glad to help. Please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks and good luck!!