Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

In October I was treated . I took 1000mg

Hello, in October I was treated for chlamydia. I took 1000mg of azithromycin and then a week of doxycycline. The discharge I had went away. However a couple weeks later I went back to my GP with a uti. I got a weeks worth of antibiotics (nitrofurantoin 4 a day, I can't remember the strength) for it and took all of them but it still hasn't gone away. I went back to my GP yesterday and he put me on 1000mg of cefalexin a day for 10 days and then 50mg a day of nitrofurantoin for a month. Could this be the sti that has returned? I haven't had unprotected sex since treatment. My GP said it would be unlikely seeing as I had a strong dosage of antibiotics for it but he will check when I am back in January after I finish these antibiotics.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. Sorry about all this trouble. I do agree with your doctor. Nearly 100% of patients who are still positive for chlamydia after treatment are positive because of reinfection, not resistance to treatment. And you were adequately treated. So in this situation I'd send the urine for culture to make sure the UTI was treated with the right antibiotic and repeat the GC/chlamydia cultures in January. It's MUCH more likely to have resistant UTI strains. I hope this was reassuring and helpful.