Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

I have noticed a few black spots/patches near my clitoral hood and on my labia mi

I have noticed a few black spots/patches near my clitoral hood and on my labia minora and wanted to make sure it's nothing to worry about.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. It would be most helpful if you could attach an image file for me to see.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've attached a photo- thank you.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
These look like a condition called melanosis. Usually when I first detect these on a woman, I have her come back in 3 months to look at them again just to make sure they're not enlarging quickly. While rare, it's possible to develop melanoma on the skin of the vulva. Melanosis is MUCH MUCH more common and I see it often enough. Any questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you so much for your response. So I should visit an OB-GYN in 3 months if I notice any changes? I noticed one maybe 9 months ago and noticed the little ones in the last 3 months.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes I'd do that. BUT even if there is change, remember that chances are close to 100% that it's just developing melanosis which is not a cancerous condition. The gyne would look for thickening in the tissue and may choose to take a small biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. Anything else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's it. Thank you very much for your help.