Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

I finished my period 2 days ago but today when I went to the

Customer Question

I finished my period 2 days ago but today when I went to the toilet to urinate and wiped there was pink blood in the tissue. I had cramping & nausea all day and each time I went to the loo the blood was darker. It's very small amounts but now dark brown. This also happened last month. I have not had sex in the last month so definitely not pregnant! I have a history of fibroids. Last removal of fibroids was in January 2015. I also have cysts on my ovaries. I am 42 and periods are regular every month for 5 days. Please advise?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. I'm sorry to hear about this worry. A small amount of blood a few days after the period ends is usually not a worrisome sign. Bleeding that occurs in a very specific pattern like that is usually hormonal. It's likely that at age 42, you're starting to have some changes in the hormonal pattern that could explain this. If the overall number of bleeding days is less than 10 and there isn't abnormally heavy bleeding or bleeding at other times, it's not likely at all to be worrisome. Here is a link to a handout about expected changes in the period pattern with aging. I hope you find it helpful. It's a good idea to start tracking the bleeding on a card which I've also attached a link to. Your gynecologist will appreciate seeing this card if the pattern persists and becomes abnormal. http://www.cascadewomenshealth.org/download/PDFs/HealthEducation/Transitions%20to%20Menopause/Period%20Change%20as%20you%20get%20older.pdf http://www.cascadewomenshealth.org/download/PDFs/HealthEducation/Managing%20Bleeding/mens_rec.gif Let me know if these links don't work. I hope this was helpful and reassuring. Please reply if I can clarify anything or add details.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Any questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. It is very reassuring! I hope I'm not starting the menopause as I would still like to have a baby..
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
No this isn't a sign of menopause or anything in particular really, as long as the total flow days is 10 days or less and there isn't bleeding at other times of the cycle, nothing needs to be done about it.