Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I have just found out I am 17 weeks pregnant but have been

Customer Question

I have just found out I am 17 weeks pregnant but have been drinking and smoking
Should I have a termination ?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
It is a personal choice whether or not to have a termination. Nobody can make that choice for you. Smoking increases your risk of miscarriage and a small baby. It is not generally noted as a reason to terminate a pregnancy. Alcohol more than 7 drinks a week or an episode of binging during early pregnancy increases your risk of fetal alcohol syndrome. You can get a most accurate risk by meeting with a maternal fetal medicine specialist. YOu will need to describe the episodes of drinking and the time frame as accurately as possible. A more accurate risk can then be given. You will need to base your decision on this information and your personal desires.