Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
62949540

Im Alexa. I had sex on december 17 2015. Its December

Customer Question

hello Im Alexa. I had sex on december 17 2015. Its December 31 2015. I been having really bad back aches and i cant sleep very well at night. Im also having period like cramps. I had nausea for like 2 days but no vomiting. Im also getting very dizzy from the easiest thing. Before i had sex none ofthese things would happen. I had a full like feeling for an entire week. I would eat at like lets say 12pm and it would be 430pm and i would still feel like i just ate also i have shortness of breath. And i know its not my period. I took a home pregnancy test but i came back negative but i just know this isnt normal with me. Is it possible that im pregnant but just took the test too early?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello and I am happy to help. First, in answer to your question, a pregnancy test will turn positive about two weeks after conception. Yes, it is possible that you just took the test slightly too early and you should check it again in a couple of days. If it is still negative, then you are not pregnant. Second, I believe that what you are experiencing is NOT related to pregnancy. If you WERE pregnant and having significant pregnancy related symptoms, then you would definitely have a positive pregnancy test. My guess is that you are not pregnant and will get your period in the next few days. With regard to your symptoms, these ARE common symptoms associated with the second half of a cycle. Many women have variable reports of symptoms that include everything from nausea, change in appetite, etc. This might be exacerbated by the anxiety that you might be pregnant. Does this answer your question?Dr. Tim