Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I get a sore skin feeling on my buttock, running down

Hi, I get a sore skin feeling on my buttock, running down the back of my thigh and then under the sole of my food - usually just one leg or side is affected - also the vagina area. It lasts a few days then disappears. This seems to re occur from time to time - no specific pattern in occurrence. I have been told that I have fibroids and need a hysterectomy which I'm having in a months time. Could these symptoms be caused by the fibroids in the uterus? It almost feels like a sensitive nerve.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
The pain you have sounds like sciatica, which is pain in the area of the sciatic nerve. Usually sciatica is caused by pressure on the sciatic nerve by back problems, such as a bulging disc. However, there is a chance that your fibroids might be causing the sciatica.I would recommend that you talk to your doctor about this pain, so that an evaluation can be done if necessary. I don't recall ever seeing a women who had sciatica due to fibroids.If the pain is due to pressure from the fibroids, it would be relieved by hysterectomy.If the pain is not due to the fibroids, then it may increase your discomfort during your recovery from surgery. Rest and inactivity during recovery may aggravate the sciatica, which is the reason it would be best to evaluate this pain before your hysterectomy.Usually your doctor will be able to know whether the size and position of the fibroids is a likely cause for the pain. If not, a good exam and perhaps x-rays or a scan will be able to figure out the cause.If the sciatica is due to disc problems or some other problem with your spine, then there are treatments such as physical therapy and exercises that can be helpful. Sometimes surgery may be necessary if there is a bulging disc. Best wishes.
Thank you for your payment and rating.