Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I have had vaginal atrophy since coming off hrt over 3 years

I have had vaginal atrophy since coming off hrt over 3 years ago. I have tried everything but nothing seems to work. I tried Premique low dose again (I was originally on this) but my headaches started again after a couple of weeks. Is there an alternative I could try or perhaps the headaches would lessen after a month or two. I have seen Livial on the internet and I wondered if this was worth a try. I am fit and well and have had a smear test, mammogram, blood pressure and cholesterol checks and everything is normal.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Since Premique give you a headache, it will be best for you to go for a locally applied estrogen cream rather than a oral pill. Estrogen cream like Premarin is works locally in the vagina to improve texture and suppleness. A very minimal amount is absorbed into the blood - usually not enough to cause side effects. Livial can also be used but estrogen cream is more effective.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this similar to Vagifem, as when I used this I found it was too strong and caused burning issues. I don't know if I said previously but I had the Estring vaginal ring but no improvement after 6 months.
Although both are estrogen creams, they contain different types of estrogen. Premarin or conjugated equine estrogen (CEE) is a naturally occurring E2 while Vagifem is 17beta-estradiol manufactured in the laboratry.Vagifem is stronger than Premarin. Since it is available in tablet form, it needs to be dissolved before it can act. Estring contains estrodiol, similar to vagifem.Please try Premarin and see if it works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** give it a try. Can I order it through yourselves?
I am afraid not - we do not give out prescriptions or supply medicines. Please contact a local pharmacy.Please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.