Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Ovulation pain

Ovulation pain
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me some more details please? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My last period was on Dec 11 2015. I started experiencing the usual ovulatory associated pain on my left side on Dec 24 2015. The pain (on a scale of 1 to 10 was 5) carried on until yesterday (jan 2 2016). It then became more acute, and I know it is because I must have ovulated as my secretions were of an egg white consistency yesterday. The pain is still strong, and my lower abdomen feels tender. Any idea why the pain is stronger than I am used to, and why it has gone on for over a week?
I suspect that it's more likely that you didn't really ovulate, but rather that the follicle that was developing toward ovulation kept growing and became an ovarian cyst. When the pain became more acute, the cyst probably ruptured.Ovulation pain generally doesn't last more than a day or so.At age 51, you're more likely to have months where you don't ovulate. If you were going to ovulate, it should have been closer to December 24 or so.An ultrasound could help to know whether you had a ruptured ovarian cyst. It could also help determine the cause of your pain in case there is no sign of an ovarian cyst (or free fluid from the ruptured cyst).A ruptured ovarian cyst usually takes care of itself with time and rest. Depending on how much pain you're having, you may or may not wish to see a doctor to have it checked out. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That makes sense, as prior to my last period, I don't recall having the usual ovulatory pain, so I might have not ovulated previously, hence the pain Iam in now. You say it should take care of itself with time and rest - How long should this pain last if it was a ruptured cyst?
With a ruptured cyst, there is great variation as to how long the pain lasts. For some women, it will mostly resolve in a few days or so. Other times it can last for more than a week.Usually the pain will tend to get better over time after the acute pain when the cyst ruptures. So it the pain gets worse over the next day or so, I would get it checked.
Thank you for your payment and rating.