Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had a baby just over 2 weeks ago and needed stitches for

I had a baby just over 2 weeks ago and needed stitches for a second degree tear. They're no longer sore but have experienced foul smelling lochia over the past week. Is this normal?
I have no other symptoms
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
It's not normal to have foul smelling lochia 2 plus weeks after having a baby.It may just be due to a change in vaginal bacteria, as some bacteria tend to produce a foul odor. But there may also be necrotic (dead) tissue inside the vagina causing the foul odor. Another possible cause of a foul odor is when a sponge or something similar was left inside.I would recommend seeing your doctor for an exam. Perhaps something inside needs to be removed to eliminate the odor. Best wishes.
Thank you for your payment and rating.