Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
62949540

I have a copper IUD NOVA T350. My leaflet says it lasts

Hi, I have a copper IUD NOVA T350. My leaflet says it lasts 5 years, which means it expires this january. I am almost 45 and I think starting the menopause as I have many symptoms relating to menopause. I have read that IUDs can last longer than stated. Also I have read that if it was inserted after I was 40 years old chances are it will last me through the menopause. Do I need to have it removed ? Does it do any harm if left ? Do they last longer than the expiry date ? ......The string of the coil has retracted inside and I saw a dr about it, she said its fine like that until it needs to come out and they will use the appropriate method.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I AM NOT PREPARED TO PAY £26. AS I HAVE NO ANSWER, CAN I HAVE MY £14 BACK PLEASE THANK YOU
Expert:  Dr. Tim, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am happy to help you if you would still like an answer. Please respond and I will get back to you immediately.Dr. Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes please, but can only afford the £14 i have already paid. thanks
Thank you for your patience. The copper IUD, which is what you have, typically can stay in place for up to 8 years. Yes, it might last longer than the leaflet states. The average age of menopause is 51-52. Based on this fact, the IUD is not going to get you all of the way until menopause. But, a new IUD would get you to this point. I would recommend that you have the current IUD removed and a new one placed that will confidently last you the appropriate interval of time until pregnancy is basically impossible. Does this answer your question?Dr Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes thanks for your reply.
You are very welcome. Please take a moment to rate my answer - a POSITIVE rating would be appreciatedDr. Tim