Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Are you able to advise on on unprotected sex that i had

Customer Question

Hi, are you able to advise on on unprotected sex that i had on year's eve (after midnight)? I was very drunk and don't normally do this kind of thing (i have a long term partner and we have a 3 year old together, so i honestly can't believe that i did this.
My concern is that i know nothing about the woman i had sex with. Next day i was hungover, but when that cleared up a mild, but persistent headache remained (not normal for me). The headache got a little worse over coming days, along with mild fatigue, a little giddiness and i had slight nausea.
Yesterday, the 6th, so day 6 after sex, i had a sore throat. I've had worse sore throats and today it's not as sore as yesterday, but i've noticed lots of white spots on the back of my throat.
I'm worried these symptom may represent HIV. I will obviously get tested asap, but my main concern is for my child and partner - the fear of infecting them.
Do my symptoms sound like HIV. I'm thinking about paying citydoc £300 to have the 10-14 day test!?
Thanks you
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Although HIV infection can cause flu symptoms similar to what you've had, they cannot show up so early. The soonest that a person will develop symptoms after HIV infection is about 2 weeks.It's more likely that you got a viral upper respiratory infection from your New Year's Eve partner. Your symptoms are unlikely to be the results of any STD.For diagnosis of HIV, it's recommended to be tested at 2-4 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months.Using a late generation antigen/antibody HIV test, most will test positive at 1 month, almost all will test positive at 3 months, and the rest will test positive at 6 months. Best regards.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply, Dr. Norm. That's an incredible relief for the time being. I'm not proud of what i did and it's certainly an aberration on my part. Am i correct to assume that the 2-4 week test can be taken at 2 weeks (the 14th), or should i wait longer?
It can be taken at 2 weeks, but waiting makes the test more reliable, since many test would be negative at 2 weeks but positive at 4 weeks. You might compromise at 3 weeks.Thank you for your payment and rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your advice. Can I please ask one more question?
I've read that the retrovirus stage is when it's most infectious. So as a precaution until the test I
Are there any precautions in particular that I should take around my partner and 3 year old?
Thanks in advance.
You're correct that HIV can be very contagious quite early, before any tests are positive.Using a condom during sex is probably advisable until you test negative. However, unless you have reason to suspect that your new partner has HIV, the chances that she does are probably not very large.I don't think you need to worry about your 3 year old. Casual contact, kissing, etc. won't spread HIV. It's primarily spread by sex or blood exposure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that he has eczema, particularly on hands so the skin is often broken. I also have a little eczema on hands.
I suppose there is a slight risk if both of you have broken skin. However, I suspect it's unlikely that your blood or bodily fluids are going to reach your son's broken skin. If you have a cut or any active bleeding, I would be cautious about contact.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't thank you enough for your advice. I've barely slept for worrying since the new year. I know I'm not out of the woods and will take the test at 3 weeks, but I was very afraid that these symptoms meant HIV and now I not its too early for that I hope to finally get some sleep.
Many thanks to you Dr. Norm S.
You're welcome.