Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I went off the pill 6 months ago and havent had a period since.

I went off the pill 6 months ago and havent had a period since. . I'm 19 and my periods werent that regular before I went on the pill
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went on the pill because I was sexually active however it caused problems for me. I don't want to be live called. I clicked that by mistake
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
How long had you been on the pill?Which pill was it?Is your weight normal?Do you have any extra facial hair? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had been on the pill 10 months. Yes my weight is normal. Yes I have extra facial hair
No period for 6 months means that you haven't ovulated for 6 months, since ovulation brings a period 2 weeks later.We can sometimes find a reason that a woman doesn't ovulate, and sometimes not. The extra facial hair is suggestive of possible polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).Women often have a minor delay in starting their periods after stopping the pill, but usually they'll get a period around 6 weeks later. I don't think your prolonged time without a period has much to do with taking the pill.I would recommend that you see an OB/GYN doctor for evaluation. Your thyroid would be checked and some basic tests done. You'd probably be given progesterone pills to take for 7-10 days. If that brings on a period, this confirms that the basic problem is one of not ovulating.Not ovulating can be treated with pills when you with to become pregnant. You may start ovulating on your own in the meantime. Until then, you can be given progesterone every couple of months if you don't get a period. I hope that's helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. So you suggest I go see a doctor asap? Is there anything I can do myself that can help bring back my periods?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pill I was on was ovranette. Is it common at my age to have pcos? Or will it cause problems?
There's no big hurry, but I would see a doctor. I don't think there is anything you can do yourself to bring back your periods.PCOS is common, and generally begins in young women like you.Since you're not overweight, the main problem is not ovulating and having a little extra male hormone/hair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. Is there any lifestyle changes or dietary changes that could help? I am worried that this will affect my fertility in the future and I want to do my best to get ovulating again
I think the best thing you can do is to maintain a healthy lifestyle - regular exercise, good food, sufficient sleep, avoid too much stress, and stay at a normal weight.Not ovulating is the easiest kind of fertility problem to treat, so I wouldn't be very worried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I don't have a medical card and I can't afford the doctors at the moment. Can you get progesterone without a prescription? I'm sexually active at the moment. Is there another contraception you would recommend?
I think you can get progesterone cream without a prescription, but it's very difficult to know how much is getting absorbed, so it's not recommended. Progesterone pills require a prescription to my knowledge.The combined pill is usually a very good medication for pcos, since it produces regular periods and lowers male hormone levels.Otherwise, condoms are always a good choice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks for all your help. :)
You're welcome.Please click the rating stars. Thank you.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Thank you for your payment and rating.