Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had a miscarriage a couple of months ago and we have

I had a miscarriage a couple of months ago and we have since started trying again.
I am not due to have my next period until this Friday but I have been having some very
light bleeding for the last week to week and half. There is a very small amount of blood on
a tampon if used and the colour has been a mixture of light pink and brown until today when it was
normal period red but again very little.
I have also been having twinges in my stomach for the same amount of time, feels like a twinge or a
pulling feeling. It has never been a pain.
Is this anything to worry about?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
How many normal periods have you had since the miscarriage?When did your last normal period start?Do you know if and when you last ovulated? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had 3 normal periods since the miscarriage. The 1st one after it had a couple of days of spotting but the next two were normal.
My last normal period started on 24/12/15.
I last ovulated on 5th or 6th Jan, can't remember which sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wrote it down and found it now.
Last normal period started 21st Dec and I ovulated 31st Jan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have probably worked out that I meant 31st Dec
And how do you know that you ovulated Dec. 31?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took an ovulation test every morning from December 27th and got a positive result on that day.
Thank you.When you get a positive result, that usually means that you'll ovulate the following day or so.Bleeding for 1-1 1/2 weeks in the second half of the month most often means that you didn't ovulate. Other possible reasons would be uterine polyps or fibroids, or possibly even some tissue remaining in the uterus from the miscarriage. That would be unlikely if the last 2 periods were completely normal.If possible, it would be good to see your doctor for a blood progesterone test. That would help to determine whether or not you did ovulate this month.A positive ovulation test is suggestive of ovulation, but doesn't guarantee it. It means there was high LH.Since you're trying to get pregnant, knowing for sure whether you ovulated is important. And the bleeding you're having is definitely not normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. You didn't mention anything like cancer, is that a possibility?
Assuming that you've had routine Pap smears, cancer is highly unlikely.Uterine cancer doesn't occur in young women such as yourself, and cervical cancer doesn't occur in women who get recommended Pap smears.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you I will arrange to see my doctor for a blood test. Thank you
You're very welcome. Good luck in getting pregnant!Thank you for your payment and rating.