Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

I have been diagnosed with pregnancy of unknown location .

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with pregnancy of unknown location . I had a scan on Tuesday which showed a heterogenous area 46mm by 31mm by 41mm which echogenic free fluid in POD extending to both adnexa with maxium depth of 90mm. I had a beta HCG tahts day which was 200, this then dropped to 184 on Thursday . I stayed in hospital on Thursday as had stich pain high up in left side. They did the other HCG yesterday instead of planned today as I was in hospital anyway and it was 200 again. They think I have a eptopic . They are going to another HCG on Monday and if no better or higher give me methotrexate. whats happening ? will it resolve on its own which they thought it would initially
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. I'm sorry for this worry. They are being cautious. Pregnancy outside of the uterus can be hard to tell from a miscarriage. Pregnancy outside the uterus can be very dangerous so they are taking good care to be sure you are treated correctly. With methotrexate, you can avoid surgery and more problems with pregnancy outside the uterus. And it would not cause any additional problems for a miscarriage either. But they wouldn't want to give you methotrexate unless it's needed. If they are sure you're having a miscarriage, they wouldn't give it. It sounds like you are getting very good care. What questions can I answer to settle your worries? I know it's not possible to settle all your worries until this is over, but I can give additional information to help you understand. Please reply If I can do that.