Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I thought I was done with my periods, 2 years ago and

Hello, I thought I was done with my periods, 2 years ago and I just got one. I have had a long history with cysts en endometriosis, My onny child was IVF and I am missing an ovary, Should I worry?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Assuming that your periods stopped because of menopause (associated with hot flashes, et), then the bleeding needs to be checked out. It's called postmenopausal bleeding.Bleeding after menopause is more often due to benign causes, but sometimes it's a sign of uterine cancer.Your doctor will do an exam and probably an ultrasound. If the uterine lining is very thin, that rules out cancer, and that's all that is needed. The bleeding is likely due to the thin lining, which can be fragile and bleed.If the lining isn't very thin, then you'll need either an endometrial biopsy (thin tube through the cervix to sample the lining) or a D&C.If there is a polyp causing the bleeding, that will be removed.If there are precancerous changes, they can often be treated with hormones.In case cancer is found, it's the kind that we often can cure by hysterectomy. Best wishes.
Thank you for your payment and rating.