Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I have a paper cut like lesion by the opening of my vagina.

I have a paper cut like lesion by the opening of my vagina. My vagina is hot & burning. I am also experiencing lots of discharge. It also stings a little when I pee. Is this a yeast Infection? I have attached some photos.the skin is also dry & flaky.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
I do not see anything like a paper cut. Linear tears can be due to herpes infection. If you are at risk for std's you should see a Dr and be tested. If you are not at risk for std's you can treat yourself with an over the counter yeast medication like Canestan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had tests for std's all came back negative. I had a friction sore swabbed for HSV a few weeks back but it came back negative. Have been to the clinic today & they have taken more swabs but say an infective cause is unlikely as none of my previous swabs have been positive & I havnt slept with anyone since they were last done. She said my posterior fourchette is quite red & sore so she swabbed that area & did a swab for yeast & gave me some cream to put on it. I have a follow up in 2 weeks time with her. I've also suffered with an Anal fissure but this had supposedly healed but there was blood in my stool & a few little black flecks on Friday morning.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you don't see anything abnormal in the photo?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
No not really except redness I think you should treat for yeast infection. Using an external cream is not enough
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The GU doctor said not to use the thrush treatment as there is no thrush. S
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Ok I guess I do not agree
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had swabs done for chlamydia, Gonnoreah, yeast, BV, trich all negative. Had a small sore on Vulva which lasted for 3 days about 2 weeks ago which they swabbed for HSV but it came back negative. Is there anything that could of possibly been missed here or any further tests you think I should request? I've also had a pelvic ultrasound which was normal. My GP has said everything has been ruled out. The GU doctor at the clinic has written to my GP to ask if there is any chance I can be referred to a dermatologist, are there any non-std skin conditions that could cause these symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been suffering with the discharge & discomfort for over a year now although last weekend was the first time I've experience the stinging when I pee. However this was only on Saturday it was sore to pee on Sunday it was fine again? I'm so confused.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
You cannot have a "swab" for yeast. Again this looks like a yeast infection that needs to be treated. Another condition that may be a possibility is desquamative vagintitis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So do you think It would be a good thing for my GP to refer me to a dermatologist for this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, the GU Doctor said that when she looked at the swabs under the microscope there wasn't many of the normal type cells( or whatever the technical term is for it) that she would expect to see. She then asked me had if I had been overwashing the area which I havnt, does this point to anything?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
No I dont think you need a dermatologist, as I mentioned above, You need a yeast treatment. Some types of yeast cause no discharge, just redness and inflammation. I would recommend a clotrimazole 3 day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a canesten pessary & external cream will that be ok?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Yes that would be great
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How accurate is the culture test for herpes? I'm completely paranoid that I have it! Can I be sure by the negative swab that I don't?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
No you cant be sure at all It is only 60% sensitive meaning it is positive only 60 percent of the time when herpes is present.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a test I can do to be sure?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
No there is not. Im sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can it be detected on a blood test?