Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

Yesterday, Feb 27th I went early ultrasound. My last

Yesterday, Feb 27th I went for an early ultrasound. My last period was either Jan 10th or 11th and my cycles are usually 29/30 days. The sonographer measured crl as 5mm and said the heartbeat was consistent at 118. The dates are out vs mine. She said she was measuring exactly 6 days. She said as dates are out and 'heartbeat is a little slower that we would like' I need to go back in 2 weeks. Are these numbers - crl and heartbeat not within range for my dates. Is there something to worry about here. So far pregnancy has been normal - no bleeding and have sickness. I have a healthy daughter and had a miscarriage in November at 6 weeks.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi it's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. I'm sorry about your worry but it really is too soon to think anything is going wrong. The difference in measurement is really quite small. At exactly 6 weeks, the fetal heart is just developing, often we don't even see it at 6 weeks at all. It's possible that you just ovulated a few days later this cycle than usual. That's the most common reason for a few days discrepancy in measurement versus expected dates by last period. We have strict criteria on when we suspect early pregnancy loss and from the information you provided so far, your findings don't even meet criteria "suggestive of early pregnancy loss". The sonographer should not have been interpreting the results to you anyway. Unless they are physicians, they are technicians and their job description is simply to take the images for the physician radiologist or obstetrician to interpret the results for you. I've attached the current guidelines for you, look at Table 1. I'm glad that you have a follow-up scheduled for 2 weeks but personally I would schedule a woman 1 week out not too. The reason is that 1 weeks is usually enough time to tell what is going on and it's emotional torture for a woman in early pregnancy to be in this situation of waiting for 2 weeks. I hope this information has been reassuring and hopeful. Please reply if I can clarify anything or add details.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.