Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

11 years ago I had surgery and cysts and

11 years ago I had surgery for endometriosis and cysts and since then I have no symptoms. My periods have been regular as clockwork but after having 2 bleeds in January I have since had none. I have had the normal pre period bloating, hormonal headaches and cramping which I normally get before my period but my period has not arrived. I am not pregnant as took a test just to be on the safe side.
I'm 35, is this something I need to be worried about?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. I'm sorry to hear about your skipped periods. But rest assured that this is usually not due to a serious problem. Home pregnancy tests are very accurate, so if pregnancy is not the cause, the most common cause of skips is stress. Most women skip a few periods during their lives due to stress. So for now it's safe to see if the period gets back to normal in 1-2 months. If not, we start investigation into cause. Normally we'd check for thyroid disorder and early menopause. Other causes for skipped periods we'd assess by taking history. They include certain medications, eating disorders, excessive exercise and a few others. Please reply if I can add details. I want to be sure you get the most helpful information for your situation. I hope this has been reassuring and helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stress is not possible as have been on 2 months vacation from work so have been very relaxed. I work on a ship and join in 2 weeks so wasn't sure whether it was worth looking into further whilst I'm home as wont be back for 5 months.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't take any medication, I eat healthy and diet hasn't changed and not exercise other than swimming once a week.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
If you had some other symptoms of thyroid disease or premature menopause, it would be worth checking into now. But otherwise just watching it would be fine. Other signs of thyroid disease include weight gain, fatigue, constipation, feeling cold, dry skin, foggy brain. Other signs of early menopause include hot flashes, night sweats, dry or burning vagina.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
But let me reassure you that this is absolutely not a sign of cancer, precancer or endometriosis acting up. That is for 100% sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you.