Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

How likely is it to be resistant to acyclovir?I still

hi how likely is it to be resistant to acyclovir?I still feel I am getting outbreaks every 2 weeks even on suppressive therapy of 3 x 400mg a day. Is this possible?I have some pimples on my bum right now and I don't know if its an outbreak or not. But im really worried suppression doesn't work for me, but every mark I see I think its hereps, maybe im being paranoid?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
I don't think that it's possible to have a herpes outbreak every 2 weeks. Herpes generally doesn't recur for 1 month or more.Most likely whatever you're seeing is not herpes. The way to know is to get a herpes culture done while they are present. Then the doctor can look at them and figure out what they are. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I understand, but how common is it for acyclovir not to work as suppressive therapy?Also do outbreaks reduce over time?Finally, if it is an outbreak on my buttocks, how contagious am I when these have scabbed? Its not really an area that would be touched during intercourse and definately not by any mucosal tissue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its not really possible for me to go to the doctors every 2 weeks :( im very miserable that suppressive therapy might not work for me
Sorry for the delay.It is extremely uncommon for acyclovir to not work as suppressive therapy. In fact, I've never heard of it.Normally outbreaks do reduce over time.You are less contagious once it has scabbed, but still contagious until it has completely cleared, if it were herpes.You don't need to go to the doctor every 2 weeks. you just need to go once fairly soon after an outbreak and have it tested. That will prove that it's not herpes, and the doctor can help figure out what is causing it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks, ***** ***** it is unlikely to have many outbreaks on suppressive therapy?I really think if they are not an outbreak they are just pimples on my bottom, which i dont think are uncommon, so i am not really concerned to find out what it is if it is not herpes. It something I probably never would have noticed before.I sit generally best to assume that suppressive therapy works and not be overly concerned by every mark unless I am sure its an outbreak?
Suppressive therapy may not completely suppress outbreaks, but it's unlikely to have more than an occasional outbreak.Yes, it's best to assume that suppressive therapy works and not worry much unless you're pretty sure something is a herpes outbreak.