Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have a very sharp pain on the left hand side near where my

Customer Question

I have a very sharp pain on the left hand side near where my ovaries are. It is very sharp stabling pain and every time I get up to walk the pressure sends darting pains through my stomach. It takes me 5 minutes to straighten up and to walk off the pain but catches me every time I am sitting down. It has got progressively worse as the day wears on. I am 49 years old and it is not an ovulating pain this is much worse
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
With a pain that severe, I think that it's best to see your doctor.The most likely cause is a ruptured ovarian cyst. This is common and generally not serious. With time the pain will gradually do away and you'll be back to normal.However, there are other serious causes that should be ruled out.An ultrasound can generally diagnose a ruptured ovarian cyst and determine that the ovaries are otherwise normal.Other possible causes include a twisted ovarian cyst that may require surgery to save the ovary, appendicitis (usually not so severe and has other symptoms), kidney stones, intestinal obstruction, etc.