Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

I am trying 3 rd baby. I am 42 and hve a 4 and a

Customer Question

I am trying for my 3 rd baby. I am 42 and hve a 4 and a 2 year old. Never had any trouble conceiving but as I am older this time I thought I would get my Fsh, Lh and progesterone levels checked. I am a 29 day cycle and using the clear blue ovulation sticks which show I ovulate on day 13/14. I was met with some confusion from my doctor as she said only people checking to see if they were menopausal got the Fsh done. I went and had my Fsh, Lh and progesterone bloods taken on day 21. She said that it was pointless as they had to be taken on day 3. Is she correct? Hve I wasted my time getting them on day 21. Also any other tests I should get done to ensure all is ok.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 8 months ago.
.Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. No, you haven't wasted your time, however the day 3 FSH level is a better predictor of a normal menstrual cycle. You should also continue doing the ovulation predictor test to time when you should definitely have sex. If it is turning positive I recommend have sex on that day continue daily until it is 4 days past the strongly positive positive reading. This will optimize your opportunity for getting pregnant. For now these are the main tests to do. Since you didn't not have trouble getting pregnant before you should be fine this time as wellJust an aside if you are not already doing so, you should be taking your prenatal vitamins now so you optimize have all the important minerals and vitamins to ensure a health baby. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi can you also tell me the right day to have my LH and progesterone tested. Also what are considered normal and fine results for FSH LH and progesterone so at least when I get them I know how I rated. Also can you tell me what all 3 of these tests tell me. IE what they do.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 8 months ago.
You can get it done when you get the FSH done. There are ranges fr LH, & SH based on the time of your cycle, & it varies based on the lab. When you get your results the lab will provide you with their specific rangesFemale Follicular Phase2.5-10.2mIU/mL Mid-Cycle Peak3.1-17.7mIU/mL Luteal Phase1.5- 9.1mIU/mL Postmenopausal 23.0-116.3 mIU/mL Female Follicular Phase1.9-12.5mIU/mL Mid-Cycle Peak8.7-76.3mIU/mL Luteal Phase0.5-16.9mIU/mL Postmenopausal10.0-54.7mIU/mL Both these hormones stimulate the release of the major female hormones estrogen & progesterone, that is they control the release of these hormones. As a result we are able to evaluate how a woman mentsrual cycle is acting based on the values of the FSH & LH Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my time and feel free to ask for me for your next health question
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 8 months ago.
* There are ranges for LH, & FSH based on
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can you also tell me what the ange for progesterone would be. I had it checked on day 21 of a 29 day cycle
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 8 months ago.
Yes, women mid-cycle: 5 to 20 ng/mLPlease be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my time and feel free to ask for me for your next health questionHave a great day!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could I ask you one more question before I rate you. I got my progesterone bloods taken at day 21 which showed a result of 23. Doc said this is low. Is that correct. I am normally a 29 day cycle but this month today is my day 29 and I don't have my period. Her point was that if I am not a 29 day this month that that readinginv could be off by a day or so. I thought I might be pregnant but did a test this morning and it was negative. I thought you just did a progesterone test on day 21 regardkess