Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

I have a single lump on my outer labia. It looks like an ingrown

I have a single lump on my outer labia. It looks like an ingrown hair but not had one there before and it hurts more. I shave there twice a week. I cannot see an ingrown hair underneath the skin but can just about see the black dot of the tip of a hair coming through but it is too short for me to pluck out. I am worried what it might be? It has been there for 3 days and not changed, just got a bit sorer. I cannot see an option to upload a photograph.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photo added.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. I'm sorry to hear about the lump. It does sound like it's an ingrown hair or a blocked skin pore. Usually there is a paperclip icon on your screen to upload a photo. But even if you can't, the thing to try is applying moist heat for 10 minutes at a time 4 times daily. Or soaking in a hot bath. If it's a blocked skin pore or ingrown hair, that will usually help within 2-3 days. The heat will help bring it to a head to drain. If things continue to get worse, sometimes we do have to make a small cut over the area to allow for drainage, but usually the moist heat takes care of it. To prevent future lumps, clipping instead of shaving is a good idea. Also doing a vigorous scrub with a soapy washcloth a couple of times weekly. This removes dead skin and bacteria and helps keep the skin pores from clogging. I hope this was reassuring and helpful information. let me know if I can clarify anything. I want to make sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply, I have added a photograph of you wouldn't mind looking please. It is so scary not knowing what it is!
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the excellent clear image. Yes this does look like a clogged gland. Do the above warm packs. The area should soften up and shrink down or come to a head and drain. Either way is fine. Anything else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ever so much, I will follow your advice and feel alot happier now. I will leave a rating for you. No more shaving for me! Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I'm glad to help. I hope it calms down quickly. Thanks for a rating. I appreciate it.