Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am anxious because I am 58 post menopause and over the

I am anxious because I am 58 post menopause and over the years since menopause i have had occasional spotting after intercourse which my doctor said is likely vaginal atrophy as i do not usually use lubricant. About 6 or 7 years ago i did have an examination as a result of an episode like this at the hospital i had a scan and internal type exam but ii cant remember what it was called . Samples were taken for biopsy but all was ok. Recently my husband had a colonoscopy which found polyp which was fine but since then the past 6 weeks we have been on healthy high fibre diet making toilet visits regular .i say this because at the moment i am very regular but my stools are soft . i dont really know if this is anything to do with it. However after intercourse i went to the loo and passed a motion and as i wiped bright red blood as if from a cut was on the paper it seemed quite a bit and alarmed me. i have had no further blood loss . Will this be atrophy again should i go back to doctors? do i keep going back? I went back 4 months ago with a spotting and she checked my pelvic region and said all fine but this was a bit different not a spotting but a bright red smear. i had a cystology also in 2013 which was fine.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Was the blood from the vagina or the rectal area?How long has it been since you've had an ultrasound scan of your uterus?Have you discussed using estrogen cream vaginally to resolve the vaginal atrophy? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well i dont know where the blood was from . i just wiped from back to front and smear of bright red blood. haven't seen any since.I had an examination of some description no longer than 7 years ago when i had a scan and then an internal of some kind.i had a cystology 2013. yes i have discussed creams . i use KY jelly when i think but not always.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think its atrophy again ? it seems that when i have intercourse sometimes but not always there is a spotting but this was a red smear.
Have you had a colonoscopy or other screening for colorectal cancer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are only screened at 60 and then every two years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not see any blood in urine just on toilet paper
In the US, colonoscopy type screening is recommended for everyone starting at age 50. Since you're not certain if the blood came from the vagina or the rectum, I think it would be important to check both areas.If there is further bleeding, you may be able to tell where it's coming from by inserting a tampon in the vagina.If the bleeding is vaginal, we would do an exam and probably an ultrasound. Unless your uterine lining was very thin on ultrasound, you would need testing of your uterine lining, either an endometrial biopsy (thin tube through the cervix to sample the uterine lining) or a D&C.Your bleeding may well be from vaginal atrophy, but it's important to be sure it's not from the uterus and not from uterine cancer.If the bleeding is from vaginal atrophy, then it should disappear if you use vaginal estrogen cream, which will resolve the vaginal atrophy.I think you need to see an OB/GYN doctor and be checked for possible rectal bleeding. Best wishes.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Thank you for your payment and rating.