Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

I'm just over 10 weeks pregnant and had an early scan last

I'm just over 10 weeks pregnant and had an early scan last week where the sonographer showed me on screen two flickers. She said she couldn't be certain if it was twins or if one flicker was an echo of the other. What does this mean? This was done via an internal scan. She then scanned via my tummy and said she was more confident that there was just one baby but couldn't rule out twins. She also said I have a large womb but didn't explain what that means? I have 4 children the youngest being 12 all born by c-section. My dating scan isn't for another 3weeks and I'm so worried about all this uncertainty.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have been charged for this question but haven't even had a reply yet!!!
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 9 months ago.
Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.First let me say congratulations! An early scan at 10 weeks can identify a pregnancy however at this early stage it may be difficult to outline a twin or other multiple gestation (triplets, etc.) pregnancy. The only way to determine or resolve this question is with another ultrasound (US). So for now concentrate on what you should do to maximize the health of your baby by taking your prenatal vitamins, drinking plenty of water (to avoid getting a urinary tract infection -UTI) and maintaining a positive outlook (studies have proved the mental attitude of the mother has an impact on the developing baby). While the uncertainty of the number of babies exists, instead concentrate on the fact the the baby appears normal and in good health. Focusing on the positive aspects of the pregnancy can help to turn your mind away from the uncertainty. To be sure worrying will not help the situation and can adversely affect your baby's attitude. This uncertainty is not irregular when the question of a multiple gestation (twins, triplets, etc). So we will just have to wait, and unfortunately a this time guessing will not resolve the uncertainty or make a difference in the outcome. I understand you may want more definite information but unfortunately that will not be possible until the next scan is done. So for now try and take pleasure in knowing that you are starting another wonderful new life inside.Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did ask what it means about a possible echo being seen as the second heart flicker and also about the large womb comment?
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 9 months ago.
Yes, and "a possible echo, flicker" is just that, a possibility. You need to understand that the US technician ( sono tech) is looking at a very small moving target. So the fleeting picture may might be recaptured or seen again during the scan. Imagine how hard it would be to see a small object on the back of a car that was 1-2 blocks away from you. You would want a better picture, a close picture before you could be sure of what it was you saw. why do you want a guess at this point which could be wrong?If the tech initially saw the flicker but was not able to see it again to confirm what it was, i.e. a heart beat or a noise (or nothing significant) then the tech can only question what the flicker or echo was. The uncertainty remains and it is not smart to guess at what it could mean. Yes it might be another heart beat, but if another body was not seen(which seems to be the case since you didn't comment on this) then it is unlikely that there are twins at this time.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 9 months ago.
And I have no idea why the tech made the comment of a large womb. If there was a large womb due to a twin pregnancy then the tech should have seen another fetal body. But this does not appear to be the case at this point give the information you provided.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not trying to "guess" at all. I simply am not a medical professional and do not understand the terminology or why there was confusion as to whether or not there were two heart beats or infact one and an echo....secondly I was concerned as to why I would have a large womb and wondered if there other explanations other than multiple pregnancy.
Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 9 months ago.
Yes, I understand you are not a medical professional. I also understand that everybody wants definite answers, but hopefully you can understand that there are times in medicine when definite answers can not be given. Your current situation is one of these. My goal was to provide information which includes helping you better understand your current situation eventhough your quest for a specific answer is not possible at this time.Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my time and feel free to ask for me for your next health questionHave a great day!
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.