Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have been diagnosed with mild polycystic ovary syndrome. I

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with mild polycystic ovary syndrome. I am 5 ft 5 and weigh 95 kg. my periods have stopped completely for approximately a year now and I am worried... I had a pelvis scan on Tuesday and these were the results from that. I had the scan to find out why my periods had stopped.... My gp advised me that losing weight even half a stone to a stone would probly see the return of my periods is this correct? Also am I now infertile? Thanks frances
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had blood tests to check my prolactin levels too which were normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I have any other tests to see how 'mild' it is and how I can treat it
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
There isn't generally any way to categorize polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) as mild, moderate, or severe. Since you haven't had a period for a year, I wouldn't really call that mild.The basic problem in PCOS is that a woman is not ovulating. Ovulation brings on a period 2 weeks later, so that means that you haven't ovulated in the past year.You can't get pregnant without ovulating, but there is no way to know when you might ovulate. You're infertile until you ovulate, but if you ovulate, then you're fertile.I agree with your doctor that losing weight will often reverse the changes of PCOS, so if you can do so, losing weight is often the best possible treatment. If you lose weight, your periods would likely begin. Its' very hard to know just how much weight you'd have to lose.It might be worthwhile to do a test of your testosterone and perhaps a thyroid test. Further tests than that are probably not worthwhile. Best wishes.