Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had an HVS and some swabs done still waiting on culture

Hello I had an HVS and some swabs done still waiting on culture results but the doctor did say they found a bit of inflammation in the swab but still waiting on culture. Does inflammation always mean infection on a swab? Or could inflammation be due to the fact that the swab taken before my period started. Or any other reason. I am trying to conceive and I hope I have no infection. I was hoping it wold be clear.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
By HVS, do you mean high vaginal swab?Do you have vaginal symptoms?Are you seeing a GP or OB/GYN doctor? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the doctor recommended a vaginal swab . As I have been having a burning sensation on urination which I thought to be uti symptom. He wanted to rule out vaginal infection. He said cultures take a week but they can already seen there is a bit o inflammation. I wondered what this could mean. No unpleasant discharge . But was due my period around the time of swab.
Cultures for bacteria from the high vagina are usually not very helpful, as a large variety of bacteria normally are found in the vagina. In the US, most doctors don't do vaginal cultures except when looking for yeast infection.Inflammation (usually meaning a number of white blood cells) is fairly common in the cervix and can be found normally in a high vaginal swab. It generally doesn't have much meaning.If an STD is suspected, cultures should be taken from the cervix, not the vagina.Vaginal infections are rarely if ever the cause of fertility problems. Inflammation does not always mean infection, since inflammation is common without infection.So I wouldn't be very concerned about finding inflammation on a vaginal swab. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that is very helpful and reassuring. They are testing dor yeast also They took both cervical and vaginal swabs.
Sounds good.You're welcome.Please click the rating stars. Thank you.