Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am on the progestrone only pill, i have a child who is 16

Customer Question

I am on the progestrone only pill, i have a child who is 16 months, i have been bleeding slightly but it seems to stop and start?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Which pill are you on?How long have you been on it?How many days have you had bleeding in the past 30 days? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on the pill Feanolla, i have been on it for about 5 months maybe 6. I used to be on the pill injection but that caused me to bleed constantly thats why i am now on the pills.
I havent bled since last month, i did bleed a tiny bit two days ago but it stopped after a couple of hours, nothing yesterday and now back to bleeding a tiny bit again.
Irregular bleeding is the most common side effect of the progestin only pill. Unfortunately we don't have good treatment for it.As long as the irregular bleeding is not too bothersome, it's usually best to just try to ignore it. It does not interfere with your protection from pregnancy.If the bleeding is too bothersome for you, then it's usually best to switch to a different method of birth control. The combined birth control pill is usually our best way to treat abnormal bleeding.It's possible that over time, the bleeding may get better, although it may also get worse. Best wishes.