Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

I'm 19. I havent had my period months now, still waiting.

Customer Question

I'm 19. I havent had my period for 4 months now, still waiting. They have always been irregular, around 2-3 months between, but the last 5 or so have been 1.5 months apart with some breast tenderness before. Is this a serious problem and is taking the pill a possible solution to help regularise my periods?
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My periods are normally around 5-7 days as well so pretty normal on that front
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.A few questions first to clarify your concern:1. How old were you when you started having menstrual periods? Were they coming every month until 4 months ago? If not then how often did your periods come?2. Do you have any medical health issues? If so what?3. Have you been pregnant before?4. What is your weight? Height?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Started when i was 11, since then, they have been coming quite irregularly - around 2-3 months, until about half a year ago when they came every 4-6 weeks.No medical issues, have not been pregnant before. Height- 158cm, weight 56kg
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your responses. Since your history of periods have always been irregular, taking birth control pills (BCP) will help to regulate & control your bleeding. BCP are a very good option for your current situation, you can take them for a year & then stop to see how your natural menstrual cycle occurs. Today's BC are very low does so there are minimal side effects if taken correctly, that means taking them every 24 hours. This happens to be a very common problem at this stage of a women's menstrual cycle, & it is not serious. In the early menstrual life it may take a while to get adjusted, now we know that women do not need to have periods every month. Many of the women in my practice chose to have periods only 4 x/yr, this is made possible by the dose &method of taking BCP. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thank you very much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lastly, which brand would you recommend?
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.
There are many different brands by different manufacturers, and sometimes it takes a couple of changes to find the one that is right for you. For all they typically are low dose, but the different preparations may be better for an individual. Typically I tend to prescribe the Ortho brand, but your provider may have her own brand that she prefers. Thanks for the accept, have a great week!