Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had severe dyskariosis and had to attend a colposcopy appointment

I had severe dyskariosis and had to attend a colposcopy appointment a while ago.
Upon inspection they wanted to remove the abnormal cells by loop biopsy and when I received my results by letter a few days afterwards it said I was hpv negative.
I'm just a bit confused at how I could have had severe dyskariosis but no hpv present? Could this have been caused by something else? Would my loop biopsy have been tested for other infections in case they were the cause?
I'm just unclear in my head and I suffer from anxious and panic attacks, hence coming on here for some advice and better understanding.
I have a since had a smear test that came back normal but feel I need to understand the precious result more.
I appreciate your time.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Was the severe dyskaryosis found on a Pap smear or on a biopsy?Was a simple biopsy of the cervix done before doing the loop biopsy?What was the result of your loop biopsy? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiThe severe dyskariosis was found on my Pap smear.The loop biopsy was carried out straight away at the colposcopy appointment. I had no simple biopsy beforehand.
And what did the loop biopsy show? When was it done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The loop biopsy was done to remove the abnormal cells that were present at my colposcopy appointment. I then received a letter in the post to say I was bob negative and that no further recall was need and I could go back to my 3 year Pap tests as normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry not bob, I meant hpv* negative
A loop biopsy should always have a microscopic exam done of it. Abnormal cells tend to come from abnormal tissue growth, but sometimes abnormal cells may be abnormal for other reasons.If there is no abnormal tissue as shown by a simple biopsy, then doing a loop biopsy is extreme, to say the least.An abnormal Pap smear does not prove abnormal tissue, especially when no hpv is found.If the loop biopsy did not find severe dyskariosis, then you didn't have it.Since they are advising you to return to every 3 year Pap tests, that suggests that they found nothing wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I'm not sure I'm coming across well.They found severe dyskariosis at the colposcopy appointment when they sprayed the solution on my cervix (the cells turned white and I saw it on a to screen). That was why they did the loop biopsy (to remove the abnormal cells). After that I received a letter saying I was hpv negative
Apparently I'm not coming across well either.They can suspect dyskariosis, but it requires a biopsy to confirm it. Looking at your cervix with or without acetic acid solution does not confirm dyskariosis.If there was dyskariosis present, then a microscopic exam of the loop biopsy should reveal it. If not, then there was no dyskariosis present.They may have removed abnormal cells that were never there in the first place.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so it sounds like I've had cells removed for no reason. Would the loop biopsy have been tested for any other infections?
No. A loop biopsy doesn't detect infections, although it can suggest hpv. But the real hpv test is a separate test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never understood why they told me they had given me the lletz procedure (excision) to remove the abnormal cells then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your payment and rating.I think you have a right to demand a better explanation, although it wouldn't change anything at this point.